There have been restaurants in Niedergaul for as many as 150 years. Balls were regularly held at the “Gaststätte Spiritus” and, in 1848, the menfolk of the Wipperfürth “Außenbürgerschaft” (the outlying settlements around Wipperfürth) convened there for their first democratic election. The “Gaststätte Dollmann”, the main attraction of which was an outdoor skittle alley, came later.
The “Gaststätte Tönnes” was established in 1875 and is now in the hands of the fourth generation of the same family. For many years it was associated with farming, agriculture and a haulage company. Around 1920, the little cottage was extended and an extra floor was added.
Some time later, one of the Pasbach pools saw the creation of the Wipperfürth open-air swimming pool, the entrance to which was immediately adjacent to the beer garden, and the restaurant was promptly renamed “Restaurant zur Badeanstalt”, meaning “bathing lake restaurant”.
In January 1998, Jürgen Tönnes started work on the conversion of the parental home, and the “Landgasthof Tönnes” was ceremonially inaugurated in September of the same year. The host owes a special debt of gratitude to his steadfast regulars who refused to be deterred by dust and construction noise and remained loyal to the hotel even during the conversion work.